Sunday, November 8, 2015

Studying Abroad In Rome

Colosseum
       This past Spring semester I was fortunate enough to have studied abroad in Rome, Italy. Although this was not my first choice when I decided to study abroad (Paris was my first choice) I am so glad that I decided to go to Rome. It was such a great experience and I would recommend studying abroad to anyone that gets the chance to do so. It will definitely be worth any extra loans you need to take out. 
Altare della Patria: Rome in the quiet hours of the morning
         I must admit when I first got to Rome I was a little skeptical and I was definitely questioning my decision, but after having some time to reflect on this experience it has definitely been one of the most exciting things I have done so far.  I got the chance to spend four months in such an amazing and beautiful city surrounded by history. On top of that I enjoyed amazing food everyday. I mean pizza everyday?! Can it get any better than that? It got to the point that the everyone in the small pizza shop knew who I was and what I was going to order. Aside from the amazing food and beautiful scenery I met one of my best friends while I was studying abroad and learned a lot about myself. I learned how to enjoy my own company, overcome communication barriers, how to manage money, and how to deal with the unexpected.  
View of Vatican City through a Key hole
         Although I was ready to come home when it came time to leave Italy, I did not know what to expect. The first few days back in the United States felt strange. Even though I have lived here my whole life, I felt like a stranger. When I heard people around me speaking English it felt like a foreign language, I had gotten so accustomed to hearing Italian everywhere I went. As the months went by, I adjusted to life back in the United States, but when I finally adjusted I began to miss Italy. I missed the beautiful Italian language, the historic cites, the relaxed lifestyle, and the sound of the accordion everywhere I went. It was like being in a romance movie all the time! Needless to say being back at RIT and trying to do work has been a challenge. 
Sitting in front of the Spanish steps in Rome 
        I recently found this video of Rome and it perfectly captures the beauty of the city (as perfect as you can get without being there).


I cannot wait to go back and visit Italy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment